The shop will be open this week on:
Friday 21st October
Saturday 22nd October
Update from the farm …
As I write this our hardworking staff are just finishing getting the winter crops in the ground, after a marathon effort of long hours, conditions have been favourable so now it is a case of waiting to see what the coming months bring us. The maize has started to be foraged some will be crimped for animal feed and the rest is used to feed an anaerobic digester as a green fuel.It was fantastic to see so many spectators at the Ploughing Match we recently hosted, after torrential rain at the start the conditions improved just in time to see a fabulous day of competition. We congratulate Stuart Slocombe from our Lymington as the Champion of the Day.
It is “tupping” time and we have two new rams to add to the flock. This year a pure bred Zwartbles and a Beltex. We continue to experiment with our breeding programme to get the best lamb to supply the shop for as many months of the year without losing the leanness and flavour that our Keyhaven Lamb is renowned for.
Update from the shop …
Unique Pannage Pork is in season and will be available this month so please take the opportunity to try some of this great New Forest tradition. The pigs fatten up on a totally natural woodland diet that sees them sweeping up the acorns that are poisonous to the ponies, but which create rich and delicious Pannage Pork. The meat is darker than usual and while there is not much fat, the fat that is there is rich and nutty and results in delicious pork.
For great tips and recipes check out the BBC website or ask Keith! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/pork
Dates for your Diary
We are pleased to announce that we will be opening fortnightly in the run up to Christmas and we have lots of exciting events planned. We are adjusting our opening times on a Friday to closing at 3pm as daylight hours reduce, Saturday will remain 1pm.
So here are all the dates and times for your diary:
- Friday 21 Oct 9.30am – 3.00pm & Saturday 22 Oct 9.30am – 1.00pm
- Friday 4 Nov 9.30am – 3.00pm & Saturday 5 Nov 9.30am – 3.00pm as part of the New Forest Food & Drink Festival “lunch will be served!”
- Friday 18 Nov 9.30am – 3.00pm & Saturday 19 Nov 9.30am – 1.00pm
- Wednesday 30 Nov 12pm – 3.00pm joint “Countdown to Christmas” special event at The Mill at Gordleton, food and gift stalls and lots of samples created by chef Karl
- Friday 2 Dec 9.30am – 3.00pm & Saturday 3 Dec 9.30am – 1.00pm Christmas Taster Event
- Friday 16 Dec 9.30am – 3.00pm & Saturday 17 Dec 9.30am – 1.00pm
- Friday 23 Dec 9.30am – 3.00pm Christmas Order Collection Day!!
With so much going on we will be sending out regular bulletins to keep you informed!
The third issue of Taste of the New Forest will be out shortly and focuses on Christmas. We will include a Christmas Order Sheet at the back to allow you to order your Larder favourites.
Turkey orders can be taken at our November opening or you are welcome to email your requirements in the meantime. We are also able to supply local Turkeys for Thanksgiving celebrations by special arrangement please ask.